CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP WITH AVOCADO CREMA
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 large yellow onion, peeled and halved
2 Poblano peppers
1 Serrano pepper
1 large tomato chopped (about 1 cup) reserving some for garnish
2 garlic cloves
1 -15 ounce can back beans, drained and rinsed
5 cups sodium free chicken stock
1 jar ITK “Chile Pepper and Lime” southwest cooking sauce
ITK’s “Little Bit More” Blackening spice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
a good handful of tortilla corn chips, crushed by hand
garnish with: chopped tomato, fresh chopped green onion, cheddar or jack cheese, and avocado crema
2 ripe fresh avocado, halved
juice from 1 fresh lime, plus a little lime zest
1 cup plain Greek style yogurt (I used “fat-free” but it’s your call.)
a pinch of ITK’s “Cook’s Line” Seasoning
1.Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and the outdoor grill on high. Layout the chicken breast on a roasting pan, or sheet pan, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with “Little Bit More” blackening spice, and cook in the oven approximately 15-18 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is. Remove the chicken when finished, and set aside.
2. While the chicken breasts are cooking, on a plate or dish place half the yellow onion, Poblano peppers, and the Serrano pepper. Spray everything with a little cooking spray or oil. Roast on the grill until peppers are blackened and onion charred. Remove all from the fire, and cover. Set aside and let rest for about 15 minutes.
3. With a pair of forks, begin shredding the chicken breasts. Next, begin washing off and peeling off the charred skin from the peppers. Be sure to wash out the seeds and remove the pith from the inside of the peppers. Chop the peppers, and dice both the charred and fresh halved onions. Lastly dice the fresh tomato, reserving some to garnish your soup.
4. In your favorite soup pot, add enough olive oil to the bottom and begin to heat. Add the chopped onion, peppers, minced garlic, and tomato, and begin to sauté. Cook until the fresh onion is translucent.
5. Add “Cook’s Line” seasoning and cumin, and cook in well. Pour in the chicken stock, and the “Chile Pepper and Lime” sauce, and the rinsed black beans. Stir to mix, and bring to a light simmer.
6. Add your shredded chicken, and chopped cilantro. Cover and simmer approximately 15 minutes more.
7. Crumble in the corn tortilla chips, stir, and let the soup do it’s thing. The soup will slightly thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Lightly simmer away
8. In a food processor or by hand, mash/blend the avocado until smooth. Add the yogurt, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until smooth and creamy.
9. Dish up your soup, I like mine a little chunky in the bowl and will add a few chips to the bottom of the bowl, then ladle on the soup. Once again, it’s your call.
10. Garnish with chopped green onion, tomato, cheese, and good dollop or garnish of the avocado crema. Serve with an ice cold Mexican beer, and DIG IN!